Thursday, July 24, 2008

Family Vacation!

We decided last minute last weekend that we wanted to go to Niagara Falls and Palmyra for a little family trip. Pete starts school on the fourth of August and we hadn't really done a family trip, which we had all summer to do. So we got a hotel and headed out last Wednesday morning. First we went to Niagara Falls, wow its amazing!! In this picture we are actually in Niagara Falls, before the falls of course. We rode on the Maid of the Mist boat which took us right into the middle of Niagara falls, it was crazy but so much fun!

We also went to the Cave of the Winds. You walk down and are right under the small (not really that small but the smallest of all three) waterfall. We really needed a waterproof camera and would have got better pictures. So by the end of the day we were soaked even with the rain jackets. It was such an amazing thing to see and hopefully we'll be back a few more times before we're out of Cleveland.

There are two waterfalls on the left, one big one and then you can see the really small one next to it. These are the falls on the American side. On the right, with all the mist coming up is Niagara falls which is on the Canadian side. Jack and I getting ready to enjoy the trip!
After Niagara Falls we drove to Palmyra and saw some pretty neat stuff. We got to Palmyra just in time to see the hill cumorah pageant. Wow we were really impressed and are so glad we didn't miss it. The next day we went to the Smith farm and also the sacred grove. What a humbling experience. The spirit and peace you can feel in the sacred grove is amazing! This is Jack and Pete in he sacred grove.
This is the Smith's house. I couldn't believe how small it was for such a big family. I don't have a picture of the house they built just down the lane, but we have the inside with Jack.
Jacks is standing on the bricks were Joseph Smith hid the plates at least one time. He pulled out the bricks and stuck the plates inside hiding them from mobs and people trying to take them from him. This is the new house that was built close by the first one.
We had so much fun and now next week get to go to Washington D. C. with my brothers. Anyone who's been there, please let me know the places we need to see and the places to skip!

21 comments:

Justin and Stacey said...

Glad you guys had fun! It is amazing to be on such sacred ground!

Abel and Abby said...

Hey Britt,
Looks like you had a great trip, that is awesome! I left a comment for you on the memories post, hope to hear from you soon!
Love, Abby

Ma and Pa Mecham said...

YOU GUYS LOOK GREAT, I AM SO GLAD YOU WERE ABLE TO SEE ALL THESE THINGS NOW WE JUST NEED TO GET THERE NEXT YEAR AND SHARE THEM WITH YOU AGAIN--LOVE YOU MOM M

Abel and Abby said...

Britt,
I forgot until you mentioned our Rexburg trip that was so funny! lol I started laughing after I read that comment, and still laugh because it was such good time and remembering the stupid cop pulling me over, he was crazy! lol

Strupp Family said...

We did that same thing when we just had Tyler--we went to Niagara Falls and then to Palmyra. It was winter though, so we didn't get to do the raincoats/maid of the mist--or whatever it's called. That's great you're taking advantage. We did too. I'd say in D.C. everything's pretty much in the same vicinity--the museums--we saw air and space, and history ones. I'm sure there were more but it was all a blur to me because I was morning sick :) But go and see all the monuments--Washington, Lincoln, etc. Also the white house. Good times. It sure is hot there this time of year. Yuck--so humid. Good luck.

grammie kim said...

I love the pictures of all you guys. Your awesome and so cute, all of ya. Is Jack sporting those cute shoes I got him? IF so he's getting the moneys worth. love and miss ya. mom

Jen B. said...

You are so lucky to live back there and see the sites. Looks like it was a fun trip. You are such a cute mom
Love ya

Bert and Tiffany said...

I am so jealous! I want to go to all of those places so bad!!!!! I am glad you guys got to go and do all of those fun things! Hopefully Bert and I can get up there to see you guys and go and do all of those fun things too!

Lane family said...

Jack would LOVE the Air and Space Museum in D.C. There are a ton of things for him to touch. They have lots of hands on things for the kids to try. I don't think I would spend the time going up in the Washington Monument. It was cool- but kind of a hassle. You have to get there really early in the morning to get tix. We LOVED the monuments, and wish that we would have spent more time on those. I could seriously go ON AND ON... but I won't. :) If you need a good, close, reasonable, hotel recommend- email me. dlane@students.ocpm.edu

p.s. take a jog stroller if you have one. I wish I would have!

Justin and Stacey said...

You look super cute in that first picture...as ALWAYS! :) I hope you have fun with all your family here! I can't wait until our lives slow down so we can actually see each other again! hee hee

Brandon and Amber said...

Brit you guys look great!!! I miss you so much. Brandon and I always talk about how we miss our friends from Rexburg. We really want to come up but with gas prices the way they are we are having to save for it. I am glad you guys had fun on your trip. Hope all is well.

Peterson Family said...

Oh my! It looks like you guys are having so much fun! What pretty sites to see! Take advantage of them while you can! I would love to come visit! Maybe someday or maybe we'll come to dental school there just as you are finishing up! Who knows! Glad you were able to get a family trip in this summer! Summer has flown by so fast--has is for you? I wish summer wasn't coming to a close!!

Peterson Family said...

Oh yay, D.C. is awesome! You'll love it! I think anywhere you go will be worth your time! I'm sure you'll just have a blast!

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to go to Palmyra. Those pictures are awesome. And the falls look beautiful! Looks like a fun trip.
Plus you look super tan-that's important too right?

Brandi said...

Beautiful pictures. I have always wanted to go there.

Alison Day said...

I love seeing you guys have so much fun with Jackson and enjoying this age that he's in. It brings back SO many memories of us when we just had Jaxson. We were totally in to him! Everything we did revolved around him cuz it was just the three of us. Now, we do have a blast with Emma too; but for some reason, seeing your blog makes me a bit nostalgic for those days when everything we did with Jaxson was a first, everything was new and SO FUN! Your Jackson is getting so big and is SO DANG CUTE!

mona said...

Okay Britt, I think Braxton looks like Jack with the winking. Although Braxton couldn't open his eye so it wasn't by choice. Congrats on the new addition to be, I think Jack will be an awesome big brother. Love you guys and miss you very much. I was thinking maybe next year for Cody's graduation persent maybe we could come back and go to a game if the Indians play the Red Sox. Just a thought it will depend on how poor I am, but I think that would be an awesome gift. It is so pretty back there I really want to come visit, and now that I have tackled Salt Lake maybe we could drive back and see a couple of other games on the way.

Peterson Family said...

So, I'm just bad at remembering to call you and at the right time--plus I don't want to call you too late! But I just had to say congrats to the new little one! That is so exciting! My mom called me when she found out about you and Lisa! That's awesome! I am so happy for you! Have you been sick? Good luck with everything!

Shelly said...

Hi there brit- I needed to have my blog go to private so if you would still like to see it i'll need your email address. P.s. sounds like from reading your comments your on number two!! congrats on that hope all is well!

grammie kim said...

YOU ARE DRIVING ME NUTS!! UPDATE!!!
please, mom

Odelsa said...

Britt, you are beautiful!