Saturday, June 14, 2008

My Dad, My Hero!

Happy Father's Day Dad. I just wanted to share a brief memory (my favorite) of my dad. Anybody who knows my dad knows that he loves wrestling. He was a three time state champ in high school and ranked number 2 in the nation behind Dave Schultz who went on to win an Olympic Gold Medal. So to say the least my dad was (and still is) pretty darn amazing. My dad had all of us boys wrestling at a young age, I was only 4 when I started, and it became one of the highlights of my life. When I was in the eighth grade my dad bought tickets to watch the Olympic trials in Spokane, Washington and of course I wanted to go with him badly and so my dad and me, just the two of us, went and watched the Olympic trials together. It was a two day one night event. I remember my dad pointing out all of the good wrestlers so I could go ask them for their autograph. In fact on the first day of the tournament we sat just a couple of rows back from Tom Brands (won an Olympic gold medal that year) which was pretty cool. During the finals I remember a wrestler we were cheering for (Kendal Cross) won, his opponent threw a fit and the arena went dead silent. Out of no where my dad yells "Way to go Kendal!" and the whole arena erupted. It was awesome. And we have it on film, so if there are any doubters. Anyways, I had a great time with my dad that day. I really appreciated the one on one time we had. It helped me know that my dad loved me; he was always willing to go out of his way for us kids and especially my mom. I think one of the greatest reasons I had such a great childhood is because I always knew that my parents loved each other. Nothing has changed. Dad you are still my hero, I appreciate the way you love mom, the way you love us boys, and the way you love the Lord. Happy Father's Day.

2 comments:

Lane family said...

K- I just decided that I like your dad better than mine! It's funny though- My dad has an old pair of Dave Shultz's autographed wrestling shoes. I'm pretty sure he wrestled him too. (he probably lost :))

Ma and Pa Mecham said...

Thank You Pete. That was an awesome experience for me too. I'm sure proud of the SON and Father that you are too. I love you. Have a great day, Love Dad