Monday, March 16, 2009

Labor Story

Okay well I've wanted to put this on my blog for a record, but have been slow about doing it.  Our computer has been broke for a while so I'm only able to be on it for a few minutes while Pete is not using it to study.  Now he is on spring break so I have a little more time.  My mom and grandma have come and will be here a little more than two weeks which is so great!! I'm loving it and will have some hard times ahead after they leave!! 
 Alright so here's the story of Max's birth.  So Wednesday the 25th of February Jack and I had been taking a nap and woke up about three.  I was heading to the bathroom and felt a little gush of water and thought what the crap!  I thought it might be my water breaking, but was not ready to have this baby so I was in denial and went on with my day (I had had a lot planned to get done that afternoon).  Well after a few more gushes I decided to call my sister and ask her what it was like when her water broke.  She had just had her little girl Indiya the Sunday before.  Rob answered the phone and said Lisa was sleeping so I told him I thought my water might have broke and he told me to call my mom.  I knew my mom had a really busy day and didn't want to disturb her, but called her and of course she told me to call the doctor and ask what to do.  So called the doctor and called Pete to come home.  I started packing my bags and calling friends to watch Jack.  I really wasn't prepared and figured there is no way I would go this early on my own.  We got to the hospital at about five thirty and they admitted me because my water had broke.  Contractions started but not bad.  My sister had her little girl at home with no epidural.  I was jealous and decide I wanted to try to do mine with out an epidural. She was taking classes with Derrick and told me lots of stuff and I really wanted to try.  At the hospital they hooked me up to get things started but I wanted to be walking and moving and bouncing on a ball to help with contractions and move things faster.  The nurses agreed as long as I would be monitored every hour for about fifteen minutes.  I sent Pete home to get a few more things and some oils to help speed things along at about seven thirty or so.  He got back about quarter after nine and contractions were getting stronger and about five minutes apart.  The epidural giver (cant spell ana...) came in and told him I didn't want one, well didn't think I wanted one anyway.  Oh by the way Lisa had no problem and hardly any pain, so I figured I'd be the same.  Because I was hoping to have a V-bac and my water had broke they weren't going to check me often, which of course I was fine with.  So when  the doctor (not my doctor which I was grateful for after all was said and done because I would be embarrassed to see him again) came in  she checked me about eight and I was a three.  When I got there I was barley a one and so they thought it was going to be a long labor, at least eighteen hours.  When Dr. David checked and I was a three she was surprised and said I might be at a five or six around midnight.  I was going to prove them all wrong and it was going to happen fast.  Max and I had had our talks and in my head it was going to happened exactly how I wanted it to.  Anyway sorry if this is all over the place, writing is not my thing!  Okay so about 10:30 I got into the shower and it really helped with contractions.  Got out at eleven to be monitored and back in by 11:30.  By then contractions were really getting strong and I was having a hard time breathing through them.  So because my body was tensing up I was getting really tired.  After twelve some time I decided I needed to get in bed because I couldn't stand up anymore.  Pete was rubbing my back and legs and I was really starting to hurt.  I was really really starting to hurt.  I said a few times I wanted to get an epidural and couldn't do it anymore although I knew there was no way I could get one because I couldn't have held still long enough to get one.  My contractions were on top of each other and hurting so bad.  The nurse was so great and kept telling me I could do it and to remember why I wanted to do it this way. I think it was about quarter to two when I had the urge to use the bathroom.  Emily (the nurse ) said she would get someone in there to check me because that usually meant the baby was coming and I was needing to push.  Well I wanted to go to the bathroom because I was SURE I needed to go.  She told me I could go but I was not to push.  Well I needed to push, and so she talked me into going back to the bed and I would be checked.  A resident came in and checked me and said I was at a ten and ready to go.  So I started pushing because I needed to.  Emily told me not to because there was no one there to catch the baby yet and I told her to get her gloves on because I was going to push.  They were getting things set up and Dr. David came in.  I had my eyes closed the whole time so I'm not sure about the time but I think it was between two and two fifteen.  I pushed through three or four contractions (that were pretty much on top of each other) and Max was born.  Pushing hurt but at the same time it felt so good to push and get him out.  It was an AMAZING experience to have a baby not by c-section.  Which this hopefully means my next one can come the same way.  After the birth I felt so great I wanted to get up and run a marathon!!  I cant even believe  how great I have felt compared to when Jack was born.  I was so glad everything really worked out so great!  Max was born at 2:37 on Feb. 26, weighed 6lbs 10oz, 19 inches long and eight days early ( all the exact same as Jack).  He is healthy and we are so happy to have him in our lives!!  I'm so glad I was able to do it natural mostly to prove to myself that I could do it.  It was hard but totally worth it!   

8 comments:

Shelly said...

Wow, what a story! Sounds like you did a great job britt. He is adorable!!! Hope your able to get some needed rest with your mom there.

Rachel said...

Yeah Brittany! I am so happy for you! I have been dying to hear your story and if the V-bac worked out and I am so happy it did. YOu are awesome!

Brandi said...

Thanks for sharing. Now I feel like I was there with you. I am so glad that you have two healthy kids.

derrickandlisadye said...

Ahhh Britt you know you are amazing and so strong!!! It is so empowering to have an all natural birth and so much better for the precious cargo you deliver. I'm so proud of you and love you tons!

Mary said...

You are amazing! Way to go! I wish I could say that I did it naturally...someday....maybe. Ahhh, probably not, but it sounds like a good plan. I don't think I'm as brave as you were. I love the pictures of the boys in the other post, they are adorable!

Annie Hebdon said...

Congrats on the new baby and WOW! Natural, I'm impressed, good job! He is such a cutie! I love the pictures.

Alison Day said...

CONGRATULATIONS Brittany! I love reading your story because I want to go natural too! Pete told me I should talk to you. I am curious why you didn't want to see your doctor. You said you'd be embarrassed..? Did I miss a part of the story? Ha! Way to go; what an accomplishment!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I felt the same after my vbac, it was amazing! I'm jealous though that you only pushed for a short time... I pushed for 4 hours with Gavin!
Channon